Rediscover Life

Welcome and thank you for visiting my new blog. Join me as I rediscover my Love for writing, my Lust for Life, and my everyday Adventures.

6/10/11

Childhood Love

Driving down those familiar streets
where I grew up
I see a young couple
standing on the corner
kissing in the dark
and I smile
as I illuminate them
with my headlights
and remember

My childhood
basically a fairytale
in my eyes anyway
bathed in Love
and family
and laughter
endless laughter

A memory comes to me
buried in a pile of leaves
Mom & Dad
immersed in yard work
still making time
to heighten the pile
while I drowned myself
in giggles

Under ducks on the swing
from Dad
at the lake
across from our house
higher and higher
I touched the sky
and jumped

G.I. Joes
falling to their death
off the picnic table
followed by little green men
with parachutes
trying to salvage
the devastation
to no avail
my brothers tell me
I'm playing wrong

I didn't want to play
with those plastic army men anyway
so instead I retreat to the playroom
and entertain myself
with plastic dolls
that live in a mansion
with an elevator
handcrafted with Love
by Papa
possibly the greatest surprise
of my childhood

I tuck my dolls gently into bed
after they are done baking muffins
and playing piano
and suddenly
their house is invaded
by trolls
and plastic men
as my brothers take over
I was never very good
at playing alone anyway

Years later
a new home and school
all my friends within reach
a bike ride away
always together
finding new adventures
and new feelings for boys
for you

That's when it all began really
the roller coaster ride
of emotions
that I learned to call
Love
even if back then
it was only the puppy kind
it was enough for me
to occupy my mind
and heart
while everyone else
was finding new love
and new best friends
daily
I was always content
with you

Our friendship grew
far beyond what I even knew
at the time
and when I think back now
I wouldn't change a thing
except

I would have kissed you
every time

We used to dance together
and you were always by my side
at parties
and in pictures
making me laugh
while my heart fluttered
friends we remained
but it was always you
for me

A decade and a half later
you're still in my life
your inspired eyes
still enticing me
your beliefs and insights
similar to mine
you've grown into yourself
even more beautiful with age
still making me laugh
still making me wonder

Who knew
the one thing
I wanted most during my youth
would be something
that still crossed my mind
today
and that you would be the one
I fondly remembered
when I saw two young lovers
kissing on the corner
like we never did

You still make me smile
and remember
the Love
I was always surrounded with
as a child
and now as an adult
the Love
is still pure
and my life
is full of it
and even though
you aren't it for me anymore
I still keep you in my heart
and my childhood memories
are full of you



© Ang Boyce 2011

No comments: